The Opening of the Clarence Park Grand Stand, 1894
Clarence Park was given to St Albans by Sir John Blundell Maple MP, proprietor of Maple’s, the fashionable London furniture store. The park was opened in 1894 by the Duke of Cambridge in a celebration ” … not dampened but not spoiled by heavy rain.”
Sport in Clarence Park
Designed by Mr Ford the City’s Surveyor, the Pavilion in Clarence Park was a well known local meeting place. This image of the building, reproduced in St Albans in Old Photographs edited by Mullins, is part of the St Albans Museums collection.