Seminar: Water pumps in St Albans
December 12, 2019 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM at SAHAAS Library, Sandridge Gate Business Centre, Ronsons Way, St Albans, AL4 9XR
Speaker: Brian Adams
The cover of James Corbett’s A history of St Albans (2006 – see original image right) shows the ‘Braithwaite Engine’ by the Clock Tower in the early 19th century. The pumps were double acting, worked by a handled crank, and covered. Similar pumps were erected at Sarratt, and the one on Sarratt Green has been restored. In 1871 the St Albans pump was replaced by a marble fountain presented by Mrs Isabella Worley. A similar pump is shown on two photos from the 1880s near to St Peter’s Church. Was this the old Town pump? Or was the pump which replaced the wellhead there in 1847 also a Braithwaite pump? Mrs Worley’s fountain is now re-erected inside the Old Prison, Grimston Road.
To book a place, please email Kate Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no charge for members; non-members pay £5.00.