East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society
The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society (EHAS) was established in October 1898, with three main objects:
to foster interest in the history and antiquities of the county by visits, lectures and the collection of relevant publications, to promote and assist in archaeological excavations and to oppose and prevent injuries with which ancient buildings and monuments may be threatened.
In addition to an annual programme of lectures and visits, EHAS was involved in a range of archaeological investigations, and now participates in remote sensing activities run by Kris Lockyear of Welwyn Archaeology Society and the UCL Institute of Archaeology.
Like SAHAAS, EHAS began publishing its own Transactions containing a variety of papers by local historians and local archaeologists. When these ceased to be published in the 1960s, EHAS joined forces with SAHAAS to produce a periodic scholarly journal of record for archaeology in the county. Known then as Hertfordshire Archaeology, it was renamed Hertfordshire Archaeology and History in 2004, to reflect the broader range of articles it carried.
Copies of past volumes can be found in the Society’s library and in the main public library in St Albans, as well as Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, at County Hall in Hertford. You can also buy copies of Hertfordshire Archaeology and History or take out a subscription. Volume 17 is available to members for £5 and to non-members for £20. For details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.