The Pubs of Wheathampstead, 1830-1914
Researched and written Ruth Jeavons, Peter Jeffreys, Patrick McNeill and Jon Mein
The number of pubs in the parish of Wheathampstead rose from just four in 1830 to 26 in 1870 before declining to 19 in 1914. The book explores the reasons for this dramatic rise and fall. It also records stories about the local people who used the pubs and those who made their living from serving them.
This book is published by the Wheathampstead History Society. The four authors are all members of the society and three are also members of SAHAAS.
Copies are available at the Post Office and The Reading Rooms, both in Wheathampstead. To order by post or to find further details, please go to the Wheathampstead History Society’s website www.wheathampsteadheritage.org.uk/history-society.asp.